Monday, January 16, 2012

1UP Quesadillas




I got the best Christmas present ever. I know everyone says that but I really did. I also have the best younger sister in the world for giving this present to me. A genuine, original, trusty-but-dusty, Nintendo. Yes, one of these:



I know you're probably thinking that isn't exactly the best Christmas present you've ever seen. But it is for me. So many memories of learning to play my first video games on this baby. Learning cuss words I wasn't supposed to know at 5 years old from my babysitter when she kept trying to shoot that laughing dog on Duck Hunt. Zelda was too expensive but my cousins had it so I got to play that sometimes too.

But most of my time was spent on Super Mario Brothers. My older sister figured out a trick to get infinite lives. I never could do it so I had to depend on collecting those handy green 1 UP mushrooms. So getting my hands on a Nintendo again had me thinking about mushrooms and their many delicious uses. Not to mention health benefits for a longer gaming life of your own!


By the way...I don't recommend collecting green mushrooms to use in this dish. Bella mushrooms will do just fine. These are perfect to have when you want a quesadilla but you're kinda tired of the same ol' same ol' mexican flavors. This is stuffed full of carmalized onions, mushrooms, tangy swiss cheese and the most perfect steak sauce ever created. Your mouth will be watering before they've even finished cooking. I promise!


1UP Quesadillas
4 Servings | Total Time: 20 min | Apprentice

Mats:
  • 8 Corn Tortillas
  • 10 tsp Butter, unsalted
  • 1 small Onion, diced
  • 1 cup Baby Bella Mushrooms, diced
  • 1 Tbl A1 Steak Sauce
  • 4 Slices Swiss Cheese
Craft: Melt 2 tsp of butter in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until carmalized. Add mushrooms and cook until soft. Remove from heat, add A1 sauce and toss to combine. Butter one side of each tortilla. Place, butter side down in a pan over medium-low heat. Add ¼ of the mushroom filling and ¼ of the cheese. Place another tortilla on top, butter side up. Cover and let cook 1-2 minutes until browned on bottom then flip and cook uncovered 1-2 min more. Repeat for remaining tortillas.

Strategies: You can replace the swiss with cheddar if desired. Also, speed things up using a food processor to dice your mushrooms and onions.

LFM: Serve with a green garden salad and apples!

Cost:
  • Corn Tortillas | $1.00
  • Onion | $1.00
  • Baby Bella Mushrooms | $1.75
  • Sliced Swiss Cheese | $2.25
Total Cost: $6.00
Cost Per Serving: $1.50

Category: Raid Night, Troll Fuel

*This meal contains staple items such as spices that you may or may not have in your pantry so your cost may vary.

No comments:

Post a Comment