Monday, January 23, 2012

Shyvana Jumbalaya

I tried to think of a fitting introduction to this fiery, tasty, dish. It's fast and simple but oh-so-tasty. It's got a punch of heat if you want it but it can be as mild as ketchup if you don't. When I sat down to ponder what to call it, my thoughts turned to League of Legends.

I like the game. I don't participate in the PvP since that aspect of any game doesn't appeal to me very much. But I do enjoy the simple Co-op vs. Bots. It fulfills that need for something simple, quick and easy to play. Just like this dish fulfills the occasional need for something simple, quick and filling.

As I started to think about each of my favorite champions, one in particular came to mind. The colors and heat of this dish pointed me at one of the more devastatingly powerful champions. Shyvana, the Half-Dragon.


Her short story intrigues me as much as her abilities and fighting capabilities do. I will willingly admit to being something of a lore junkie. Not quite a nerd. I don't know everything. But I love to learn more and always enjoy a good story. Shyvana's story is one of those that I wish there was more to read. It sounds so fascinating. How does a female dragon come to fall in love with a male human? And then give birth to a forbidden half-dragon child, knowing the consequences would go badly for herself and her lover? It makes a lore-junkie-wannabe-writer's mind turn! Turn I tell you!


Can I also mention that this being a dragon-related post feels highly appropriate for the Chinese New Year? Happy Dragony New Year!

Shyvana Jumbalaya

4 Servings | Total Time: 15 min | Apprentice

Mats:
  • 1 Tbl Butter
  • 1/2 Onion
  • 1/2 Green Bell Pepper
  • 4 Green Onions
  • 1/2 Kielbasa Sausage
  • 1/2 can Tomato Paste
  • 1/2 can Tomato Sauce
  • 3 tsp Hot Sauce, optional
  • 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes, more if desired, optional
  • 1 tsp Pepper
  • 4 cups Brown Rice, cooked
Craft: Dice onion, bell peppers, green onion and sausage. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until browned. Add onion and bell pepper. Add tomato paste, tomato sauce, hot sauce, red pepper flakes and pepper. Stir until combined. Add rice and green onions. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally for 8 minutes.

Strategies: Anytime you cook rice, cook an extra couple cups and refrigerate or freeze it for meals just like this one.

LFM: Serve with salad and fresh fruit.

Cost:
  • Onion | $0.50
  • Green Bell Pepper | $1.50
  • Green Onions | $1.00
  • Kielbasa Sausage | $2.50
  • Tomato Paste | $0.25
  • Tomato Sauce | $0.25
  • Brown Rice | $0.50
Total Cost: $6.50
Cost Per Serving: $1.63

Category: Casual

*This meal contains staple items such as spices that you may or may not have in your pantry so your cost may vary.

1 comment:

  1. The story sounds crazy but the dish looks and sounds delicious. I never made jambalaya out of fear but will definitely consider sometime soon. I love a lot of heat!

    ReplyDelete