Monday, April 4, 2011

Crunchy, Berry Granola

Granola scared me the first time I decided to make it. In fact, the phrase 'From Scratch' always scared me. Actually there was a time when the word 'cook' scared me! When I got married and realized I was now expected to 'cook' edible things I was terrified. Eventually I learned how to cook a few things and over time I learned more and more. I was surprised to find out I enjoyed cooking! I was also surprised how easy some things can be to make from scratch.

Granola is actually one of those things that you think should be hard and then it's not. It's not even very much work! It takes all of 5 minutes to mix up then you bake it for an hour and a half. You don't even have to stir it while it's cooking! Though I recommend it anyway for even browning and no pan-sticking. But you get perfectly good granola if you can't go AFK for 2 minutes to stir so no worries!

And the other thing I love about home made granola is you can mix and match ingredients to suit your tastes. This recipe uses a lot of sugar free and healthy ingredients but you can certainly use whatever you have on hand. You can add any variety and quantity of nuts that you like. I love peanuts so I use a bunch of those. You can even add coconut if you'd like!


Be warned that this recipe is a BIG BATCH. My husband and I eat this instead of cereal every morning so I need enough to last us both the for the week + snacks.

Crunchy Berry Granola

18 Servings (3/4 cup ea) | Prep Time: 5 min; Cook Time 1 hr 30 min | Journeyman

Mats:
  • 8 cups Rolled Oats (not instant)
  • 3 cups Unsalted Peanuts
  • 1/4 cup Slivered Almonds
  • 1/4 cup Chopped Pecans
  • 1/2 cup Wheat Germ
  • 1 Tbl Cinnamon
  • 1 cup Splenda Brown Sugar
  • 1 cup Canola Oil
  • 1 cup Honey
  • 1 cup Sugar-Free Syrup
  • 1 1/2 cups Mixed Dried Berries
Craft: Preheat oven to 250°. In a large bowl mix together oats, nuts, wheat germ and cinnamon. In a medium bowl whisk together brown sugar, oil, honey and syrup. Pour the syrup mixture over the oats mixture and stir until well combined. Spread over two baking sheets and bake for 1 hour 30 minutes. Stir and switch bottom/top pans every 30 minutes. When done, remove from oven and immediately transfer to a large bowl. Stir in dried fruit quickly. Granola will harden as it cools.

Strategies: Granola is one of those things that you can add anything you want or leave out anything you want. More nuts? Go for it! Coconut? Absolutely! Leave off the berries? Sure!

LFM: Granola goes perfect in a bowl of milk or in yogurt.

Cost:
  • Rolled Oats | $2.00
  • Unsalted Peanuts | $2.00
  • Slivered Almonds | $1.25
  • Chopped Pecans | $1.50
  • Wheat Germ | $3.00
  • Syrup | $1.50
  • Mixed Dried Berries | $3.50
Total Cost: $14.75
Cost Per Serving: $0.82

Category: Rez Plz, Snackage, Expansions, LFG

*This meal contains staple items such as spices that you may or may not have in your pantry so your cost may vary.

No comments:

Post a Comment