Friday, February 25, 2011

One Size Fits All Casserole Breakfast

Tired of everyone and all their finickiness in what they want for breakfast? Well guess what, I usually make my kids eat cereal. And they don't even get to choose what kind. Mommy picks one and everyone gets it for breakfast, everyday until that box is gone. Only then will I be so kind as to open a different box and shake up the variety a bit.

I have fallen into this routine because inevitably, when I ask my kids what they want for breakfast, each one has a different answer, and I don't make separate meals for everyone. I am just a mean mommy that way.

One day, I was sitting at my computer, getting my WoW time in when my 3 year old charged down the stairs with his plastic sword in hand and faced me like he wanted a show-down.  I was in the middle of leveling and didn't want to get wacked in the head with a plastic sword so I decided to pull the ole "distract the kid to be able to keep my free time to myself" routine.

"There are bad guys in the kitchen buddy! I can hear them trying to steal our food! Go get them!" He courageously ran back up the stairs, swinging his sword.

"I git oo baa guys!" He fought valiantly, just long enough to allow me to obtain my level. He came back downstairs, sword dragging behind him as if he had been in battle all day long. He looked up at me with his big brown eyes and said victoriously, "Baa guys all ded mommy!"

To reward my son for his good efforts I decided to let him pick what we were going to have for dinner. But of course, what did he want? Breakfast. Blarg... Of course, being the aspiring warrior he is, he didn't just want one thing for "breakfast" he wanted everything.

You want hash browns you say? And you want ham with your eggs? What, croissants? And you like hollandaise sauce? Eggs? Cheese? Well of course! We have it all my friend!


One Size Fits All Casserole Breakfast
5 Servings | Total Time: 45 Minutes | Artisan

Mats:
  • 1 pkg Refridgerated Croissant Rolls (uncooked)
  • 1/2 cup Shredded Cheese (your choice)
  • 1/4 cup Butter
  • 1/3 cup Flour
  • 1/4 tsp Thyme, dried & crushed
  • 1/4 tsp Pepper
  • 3/4 cup Milk
  • 1 cup Chicken Broth
  • 1 cup Ham, chopped
  • 1 cup Hash Browns (thawed)
  • 3 Eggs (hard boiled, chopped or scrambled)
Craft: For crust separate half of the package of croissant rolls and press into the bottom of a 9" square baking dish. Bake in the oven at 375° for 8-12 minutes or until golden. Sprinkle cheese on the hot, baked crust. For the filling, melt the butter in a medium pot. Stir in Thyme and Pepper. Add milk, broth and flour at the same time, stirring well. Add in ham, hash browns and eggs. Cover completely with sauce and pour over the crust. Lay the 2nd half of the croissant roll dough on top of the casserole. Cook at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until the rolls on top are golden brown.

Strategies: You MUST make sure that the hash browns are not frozen or they will keep the center of your casserole from cooking properly and your croissants will burn on top and still be doughy and cold in the middle.  You can also trade the ham for bacon or sausage if you prefer, but you must fully cook the bacon/sausage before using it. If the taste buds in your home aren't too picky you can add bell peppers and onions to the sauce process, simply cook them while melting the butter.

Cost:
  • Croissants $1.89
  • Shredded Cheese $0.99
  • Chicken Broth $1.29
  • Ham $2.27
  • Hash Browns $0.89
  • Eggs $0.60
Total Cost $7.93
Cost Per Serving $1.59

Categories: Rez Plz, Casual

No comments:

Post a Comment