Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Broke Leprechaun

My children have been blissfully ignorant of Leprechauns and pots of gold at the end of rainbows. Since they are home-schooled, there is no non-sense about being pinched if you aren't wearing green and no worries about the holiday what-so-ever. However, spending the day before St. Patty's at a friends house has put an unexpected cramp in my plans of ignorance for my children.

With the wonderful imagination my friend has, and being a much better mom than I am in passing that on to her kids, my kids where led out of their innocence. Much to my panic, I woke up this morning to my oldest daughter setting "traps" around the house for the Leprechauns! When I asked her what she was up to she told me all about the Leprechauns who leave chocolate coins for you if you manage to catch one in your trap.

This was fun, cute, and heart-stopping all at once. Where was I supposed to come up with chocolate money!?! I couldn't go to the store without my kids, so they would automatically know it was me. I called Rill and asked her for some advice. We devised a plan, and it only required keeping my kids out of the kitchen for about an hour. I could manage that.

Since I didn't have gold tinfoil, the Leprechaun my kids managed to catch, was unfortunately pretty poor. Their coins would be silver, but they were excited about the catch anyways!




The Broke Leprechaun
24 Servings | Total Time: 1 hour | Apprentice

Mats:
  • 1 package Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate
  • 1 package Muffin cups
  • 2 sheet Tin Foil (2 feet), cut into 3 inch squares

Craft: Heat the baking chocolate in a double-boiler until it is smooth. Spoon 2 tbl melted chocolate into each muffin cup. Place chocolate filled cups in the fridge until hardened. Meanwhile, cut up your tinfoil and decorate if desired. When the chocolate "coins" are hardened, take them out of the muffin cups and wrap individually in tinfoil squares.

Strategies: If you have extra chocolate after all your muffin cups are filled, have fun with it, I had a carton of strawberries and made myself Chocolate-Dipped Strawberries!

Cost:
  • Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate $1.79
  • Muffin cups $1.25
Total Cost: $3.04
Cost Per Serving: $0.13

Category: Phat Loot

1 comment: