Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Review: Applebees Sirloins with Toppings

Admit it. There are times when you just don't feel like cooking. But you can't go 'out' anywhere because you're scheduled to tank against Magmaw, or lead that Focus Stone group because you're the only one with the key, or you're the only one who knows your way around the Darkening Deeps in Gloamwood.

Or you just don't feel like going out and staying out. So as you pull out the 'To Go' menus of several restaurants in the area you get to thinking about what sounds good to eat? What tastes really good at these places? You don't want to waste your money on something that tastes terrible! Well, no problem! AFK Dinner is bringing you a new feature! Reviews of foods to go!


Restaurant: Applebees®
Website: http://www.applebees.com/
Order:
  • Signature Sirloin with Garlic Herb Shrimp
  • Shrimp 'N Parmesan Sirloin
  • Ultimate Trio (BBQ Wings, Buffalo Wings, Mozzarella Sticks)
  • Chicken Fingers & Fries (Bonus!)
Ranking: Rare

My husband and I decided to try out some of Applebees®' steaks that had toppings on them. I went for the Garlic Herb Shrimp Sirloin, being calorie conscious. Hubby went for the cheesigoodness of Shrimp and Parmesan for his topping. And since we both love boneless chicken wings and fried cheese sticks we decided to get some of that action too. Always love the occasional indulgence of saucy wings. When we got the food home after picking it up, we were pleasantly surprised to discover an extra container of food included for free. Score! While I didn't have any since I was reaching my calorie limit for the day, my hubby assured me they were crispy and tasty.

The Signature Sirloin with Garlic Herb Shrimp was an excellent dish. After I got over the odd texture of tomatoes and almonds, I found myself rather enjoying the blend of flavors. The steak was cooked exactly to specification. You'd be surprised how often I get steaks from chefs that are rare rather than the 'medium' I requested. So it was nice to know that the steak-cooker in the back knew what he was doing! The steak was also nice and tender. So tender in fact, that it could be cut with the plastic knife they provide with your order. Woot!

The potatoes that came with with dish were perfect, not too buttery but not too bland either. I was a bit perturbed to discover that 'Seasonal Vegetables' turned out to be 'one large shorn-off-stalk of broccoli'. It tasted fine and I love broccoli but it really didn't look very good or professional at all.

My husband had the Shrimp 'N Parmesan Sirloin and agrees with my same assessment of the meat's tenderness and cooked-to-perfection-ness. His topping was very rich and despite fears of the cheese making it too salty, it turned out to be a beautifully paired combo. Just what we hoped for from Applebees®.

We definitely recommend these dishes to anyone thinking about Applebees® for dinner tonight!

1 comment:

  1. mmm! Yum! I'm hungry....time to make breakfast. I am following you from the March Blog Hop on Bloggy Moms. I'd love for you to follow back!

    Have a great day!

    Heather From and Mommy Only Has Two Hands! and Lynhea Designs

    ReplyDelete